Back in 1995, eBay started as a fun space for traders featuring collectibles and rare items. Fast-forward to our current year where eBay has grown into a global marketplace suited for online businesses and individual sellers. Now, the main question is how old do you have to be to sell on eBay?
Do You Have to Be 18 to Sell on eBay?
If you’re below the age of 18 and you managed to stumble on this article—good job! You deserve a pat on the back. Seriously, it’s great to be aware and curious about business at a “young” age. However, the legal age to sign up on any money-making platform is 18-years-old.
According to eBay’s policy, you need to be 18 to create an account on their platform. So yes, whether you’re planning to buy or sell a product, you need to be at this legal age or older. This is a standard policy on eBay. It’s important because putting up a listing on the platform involves entering into a “contract.” So, to protect both ends, underage users must comply.
eBay’s Underage User Policy
Alright, don’t lose hope. On the bright side, eBay has an “Underage User Policy” where you can use an adult’s account. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, you need a guardian or someone at least 18 years old to create an account.
- Second, the account holder should give you permission before you start creating listings.
- Third, start creating a listing with stellar descriptions, optimized titles, and HD photos.
eBay has a strict policy about minors creating their own account. So if you don’t want your account to be penalized or suspended, just ask an “adult” you can trust. Also, eBay encourages users to report an account if they suspect it to be an underage user. Always remember to proceed with caution not only on eBay but also on any other online marketplace.
Earning Money on eBay
As one of the longest existing online marketplace, eBay became a gigantic platform filled with 182 million users. Due to the platform’s reliable track record, it has become one of the most trusted marketplaces that offer a convenient seller experience. It’s one of the many reasons why buyers and sellers flock to eBay.
As of 2019, eBay declared to have 1.3 billion listings active on its platform. It’s no surprise if the number of listings grew throughout the years as a lot of people are showing interest in online selling. Admit it, that’s why you’re also reading this article.
Sure, it’s understandable as the eCommerce industry is booming along with our shift to digital experiences. We’re months into 2021, and COVID-19 is still with us. It’s a digital age where physical experiences shifted to the online community. This includes window shopping. As a new normal, people scroll through thousands of online listings instead.
According to BigCommerce, the total transaction per day on eBay reaches 2 billion. Last 2019, the recorded total products bought on the marketplace amounted to $22 billion in total. A
Perks of Selling on eBay
Whether you’re signing up as a casual or serious seller, here are the benefits of using eBay:
- As mentioned above, you’ll have wide access to millions of eBay sellers. That’s 183 million potential buyers for you!
- eBay’s auction-style selling is a feature that highlights the platform amongst its competitors. Besides, bidding is an exciting and unique experience for buyers.
- Sell pre-loved items for side money.
Top-Selling Listings On eBay
As one of the top eCommerce marketplace for 2021, eBay provides a space for listings and exciting online actions. Here’s a list of the most popular categories on the platform:
Mobile phones and accessories hold the top spot of the most popular categories. With the ever-evolving technology, people are constantly changing their phones to keep up with the latest releases. According to statistics, here are the average items sold per category and listings:
- 55,000 units sold for iPhone 6, 6S, and 7 silicone cases
- A total of 65,000 sales for tempered glass screen protectors for mobiles
- 28,000 items for in-car iPhone holders
Overall, the most popular brand for mobile listings are iPhones and their accessories.
The next item on the list is video games. On average, a total of 188 items are sold per video game listing. Usually, the price for the games ranges from $4.99 to $88 for an average price. In fact, you can also resell your old games like Nandry Guffey.
Back in 2016, Nandry Guffey started selling on eBay at the age of 12. She started by posting her old Nintendo Game Station that she bought at a yard sale for $10. When Nandry posted her game station, the heated eBay auction sold the item for over $100. Six years later, she became a top-rated seller on eBay!
Health and Beauty
Of course, health and beauty products are always hot items. For this category, the best-selling products are the following:
- Vitamins: More than 1,140 units sold on average.
- Dietary Supplements:
- Skincare Products
- Hair Iron and Dryers
- Maquillage Mirror
- Razor Blade for Men
- Moroccan Oil Treatment Kit
Home and Garden
Last 2020 up until today, people are encouraged to stay at home to avoid new COVID-19 cases. Due to this, a majority missed exploring the outdoors. To cope with this, indoor plants became the new trend. Suddenly, a lot of people wanted to be a plant mom, dad, uncle, or aunt.
Here’s a list of the most sold items on eBay for this category:
- Plant seeds
- Plant Pot
- Gardening Tools
- Garden Furniture
- Egyptian Bed Sheets
- Coffee Tables
Computer and Tablets
Computers and tablets are the most common requirement for this generation of professionals and individuals.
Fashion is always a great niche. In fact, it’s the most searched category by eBay users.
Best-selling brands for men:
- The Territory Ahead
- Ermenegildo Zegna
Best-selling brands for women:
- Eileen Fisher
- Free People
- Dale Norway
- Diane Von Furstenberg
Aside from known brands, you can also sell your own designs if you’re a person who loves sewing. Aside from that, you can also revamp old clothes and auction them on the platform.
Last but not the least, crafts is also a best-selling category on eBay. Here are the most famous items:
- Beads for jewelry making
- Scrapbook and papercrafts
- Stone beads
- Natural gemstones
- Crystal glass spacer beads
6 Steps to be a Seller
If you’re planning to sign up on eBay after reading the above-mentioned details, that sounds great! However, if you’re still deciding whether to open an account or not, it’s best if you’ll skip this section. Here’s a quick sign up guide:
#1 Open Seller’s Account
To sign up as a seller on eBay, you need to open a Seller’s Account. To do this, just click on the Sell link on top of every eBay page. If you can’t find the link, just click here. As you open a seller’s account, there’s a confirmation pop-up regarding your age.
So again, I repeat if you’re underage it’s best to ask an adult to create their own account. After that, ask permission to use the account. Remember, your guardian will be liable for your account’s activities.
#2 Confirming You’re Not a Bot
eBay ensures the platform’s security for sellers and buyers. To do this, eBay will confirm your identity. If you want to sell internationally, it’s best to open a Paypal account or any other approved merchant account.
#3 Research Your Item
Now, you’ll have to start preparing your item. It’s best to research more about the popular category listings and think about a niche-specific product. To conduct more detailed research, you can click on the advanced search button located in the upper right-hand corner of any eBay page. Other than that, eBay shows its trending products to give you an idea about the consumer’s purchases.
#4 Start of Listing
Here’s a guide to help you get an idea as you plan your listings:
- Format: Auction-style or Fixed Price
- Category: eBay will display suggested categories to help you decide.
- Title: Be sure to optimize your title by using trending keywords.
- Description: Be sure to include all information to help consumers decide. This includes the brand, condition, features, material, and dimension.
- Duration: The number of days your listing is available. On average, sellers set the items for 7 days.
- Photo: Take HD photos. Make sure to take a picture of every angle of your product including the top, back, side, and a close-up.
#5 All the Other Details
- Pricing: The starting price should attract the buyer. Make sure to research the prices of your competitor’s product on eBay.
- Payments: A PayPal account is required for sellers. Other payment methods include debit cards, wire transfers, and cash on delivery.
- Postage: It’s best to be transparent on your listing descriptions. Be sure to include postage and packaging costs for your item.
#6 Manage and Track Your Sales
“My eBay” lets you track all your seller activity. After a listing ends, be sure to do the following:
- Contact your customer to arrange transaction and delivery details.
- To ensure your safety as a seller, be sure to confirm receipt of payment before posting the item.
- Package your item well to limit and avoid damage while shipping.
- Encourage buyers to give feedback.
Now that you know how old you have to sell on eBay, what are your thoughts? I hope this article helped answer your questions and doubts about being an eBay seller. In the end, age is just a number. If you have an amazing listing idea, don’t let your age stop you.
As long as you have a guardian to help you set up the account, don’t be discouraged by the Age Policy. As the saying goes, “99% of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.” If you still have doubts, that’s fine. But remember, one of the most common answers of a successful eBay seller is “don’t quit!”
Explore Realistic Pay for other useful contents.
Welcome to teach me money methods. I've got a really exciting update video for you. A picture. He came out with an announcement and they finally did it. They finally cracked the code. This is what...
Hello, and welcome to teach me money methods. In this video, we're going to be talking about the five affiliate marketing strategies that require zero audience. So let's jump in. Native Ads So...